A Coordinated Response to Coronavirus
The UN Secretary-General urged all countries to take a comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances.
On Wednesday, 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) characterized the coronavirus (COVID-19) viral disease as a pandemic, but it is a pandemic that can be controlled. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus.
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who heads the UN agency, said, in his statement, “Let me be clear: describing this as a pandemic does not mean that countries should give up.”
The UN Secretary-General urged all countries to take a comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances – with containment as the central pillar. COVID-19 is affecting thousands of people, impacting countries’ health systems and having widespread social and economic effects. The UN entities working on development, the United Nations Sustainable Development Group, are supporting countries in their preparedness and response plans.
WHO is working closely with global experts, governments and partners to track the spread and to provide guidance to countries and individuals on measures to protect health and prevent the spread of this outbreak.
To stay up to date with the latest information, please visit:
- WHO Myanmar COVID-19 Page: https://www.who.int/myanmar/emergencies/coronavirus-disease-2019
- Action to protect yourself and others, in Myanmar language
- urban settings https://www.who.int/myanmar/emergencies/protect-ourselves-urban
- rural settings https://www.who.int/myanmar/emergencies/protect-ourselves-rural
- staying healthy at home https://www.who.int/myanmar/emergencies/staying-healthy-at-home
- Practical considerations and recommendations for religious leaders in the context of COVID19, WHO interim guidance, 7 April 2020, translated into Myanmar language in slightly abridged form : https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/searo/myanmar/documents/interim-guidance-religious-leaders-24-april-2020-mmr.pdf?sfvrsn=2cd9f435_0
- Practical advice for the public: https://www.who.int/myanmar/emergencies/covid-19-advice-for-the-public
- Myth busters, in Myanmar language: https://www.who.int/myanmar/emergencies/covid-19-advice-for-the-public-myth-busters
- UN-Habitat Myanmar COVID-19 IEC Materials: https://unhabitat.org.mm/infocus/un-habitat-covid-19-iec-materials/ (Myanmar Language)
- United Nations Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): https://www.un.org/coronavirus
- Latest news on the United Nations’ response: https://news.un.org/en/events/un-news-coverage-coronavirus-outbreak
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- WHO's COVID-19 Landing Page: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
- WHO guidance for countries: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd