Informed by UN-Habitat’s generic guidelines, the Report addresses the following topics:
1) Urbanization drivers, trends, and projections, based on recent population data gathered through the 2014 census;
2) The existing system of cities, including consideration of national economic development policies, the impact of special economic zones, and broader regional plans the (particularly the GMS sub-region transport corridors);
3) An overview of urban legislation, including the draft of the Urban and Regional Planning Law;
4) Urban regulations including plotting, public space, and building codes;
5) Urban planning, implementation, and enforcement, including the process of urban expansion in Yangon, Mandalay, and secondary cities; and
6) Infrastructure and basic services (existing conditions and provision).